Having been out of fashion for so many years, gin is making a successful come-back on the cocktail circuit. Various innovative brands are now offering a new angle on gin's traditional flavour profile. Meanwhile, a host of new cocktails means there are far more ways to enjoy gin, beyond the ubiquitous gin and tonic. Read More »
A small batch American gin, production is limited to 50 cases at a time and the botanicals include 'hand-zested American pummelos'. No, us neither. Answers on a postcard. Please note that the image here is representative and batch numbers may vary.
A potato based distilled gin from Maine Distilleries in the north-east of the USA. They use a very traditional botanicals mix with juniper berries, coriander, lemon peel, orange peel, orris root, angelica root and cardamon, steeping them for a few hours before distillation.
A curious gin from the Black Forest in Germany. Made with 47(?!) botanicals and bottled at 47%, they also use a 'secret weapon typical to the Black Forest' in the mix - cranberries. IWSC 2011 Gold Medal Winner - Best in Class
Chief Gowanus is described as a New-Netherland gin. Made in Brooklyn, a former Dutch colony, it is made using an early American recipe for a Jenever-style spirit made from rye whiskey. The whiskey is then distilled for a third time with juniper berries and Cluster hops, before being aged in an oak barrel.
A 2013 release, Sipsmith V.J.O.P Gin turns the juniper up to 11 as well as being bottled at higher strength of 57.7%. The process includes a 'triple juniper' technique which adds the juniper at three stages - first it is macerated for three days, then more juniper is added to the pot still and finally vapour infused into the spirit. This will work well in fuller flavoured gin-based cocktails.
An American gin named after Matthew Calbraith Perry, Commandant of the Brooklyn Navy Yard in the 1840s. Perry's Tot is bottled at the original Navy Strength of 57% ABV (100 UK proof), the strength at which gunpowder could still be fired even if it was soaked by spilt alcohol. Very aromatic and with a smoothness that belies its strength.
A superpremium smallbatch Tanqueray named after the number of the No. 10 still in which it is made. A superb controlled explosion of very aromatic botanical flavours, and it looks very good on your mantelpiece / drinks cabinet.
Another arrival from the US, where specialist gins made in micro-distilleries across the country have really invigorated what was a previously a fairly moribund category. Death's Door is made with organic red winter wheat on Washington Island in Wisconsin, and has been bottled at a higher than usual strength, so use a bit less or add more tonic.
A small batch gin produced originally for London's Worship Street Whistling Shop, an excellent cocktail emporium where they have been experimenting with old recipes and spirits. This is a London Dry Gin that uses fresh cream as a 'botanical', with interesting results.
Fillier's Oude Jenever 12 year old is a blend of 50% rye and 50% malt. 75% of the sprit is aged in American oak barrels and the remaining 25% in Limousin oak, which are then blended together only after the 12 years maturation has occurred. A classic example of aged Jenever.
A Canadian Gin with a unique taste and natural colour, Ungava is produced using six rare botanicals: Nordic Juniper, Crowberry, Labrador Tea, Cloudberry, Artic Blend and Wild Rose Hips. This leads to a gin that is fruity, rich, sweet, tart and spicy.