Cooley Distillery - The Independent Spirit of Ireland
• Situated in the picturesque county of Louth in the north-east of Ireland, Cooley is Ireland's only independent distillery.
• It is also Ireland's youngest working distillery, founded in the late 1980s to challenge the monopoly that Irish Distillers (owners of Midleton and, at the time, Bushmills) had created.
• In a very short time Cooley Distillery has become a hugely significant player in the Irish whisky market, fending off a hostile takeover bid from Irish Distillers that would almost certainly have resulted in closure and producing a wide range of single malts, blends and even a single grain whiskey.
• It is a myth that all Irish malt whiskies are triple-distilled. The vast majority of Irish malt whiskey brands are distilled at Cooley, and all of them are double-distilled. Rumours persist that Cooley has been making some triple-distilled malt, but none has yet come to market.
• It is also no longer true that all Irish whiskey is unpeated, as the Cooley distillery has been producing the peated Connemara malt in Ireland for some time. However, the peat character of Connemara contains none of the iodine notes associated with Islay single malt whiskies.
• Cooley also produces a variety of blended Irish whiskies under different brand names, as well as Ireland's only commercially available single grain whiskey: Greenore.
A History of Success
• In the last few years Cooley has won an unprecedented number of medals at international competitions, including the titles of World and European Distiller Of The Year at the International Wine and Spirits Competition in 2008.
• Earlier in 2009, the distillery's whiskies won the titles of "World's Best Irish Single Malt Whiskey" (Tyrconnell) and “World’s Best Single Grain Whisky" (Greenore 15 yo) at the World Whiskies Awards in London.
• Cooley's continued sucess has culminated with the astonishing haul of nine Gold Medals at this year's International Wine & Spirit Competition, the most prestigious event of its kind in the world.
The Cooley Collection
• Greenore Single Grain Irish Whiskey is a truly unique whiskey as it is the only expression of Irish Single Grain whiskey and one of only a handful of such bottlings in the world. Greenore is made from maize / corn giving it a silky smooth sweet taste that is exceedingly versatile and accessible to all taste buds.
• Kilbeggan Finest Irish Whiskey comes from the oldest licensed whiskey distillery in the world with over 250 years of whiskey heritage going into each bottle. The finest grain and malt whiskeys are blended together, producing a smooth, sweet taste and a lovely malty finish.
• Tyrconnell Single Malt Irish Whiskey is a historic Irish whiskey brand from the 1900s, named after a very famous racehorse that won a legendary race at odds of 100 to 1. Tyrconnell's beautiful fresh, fruity bouquet, smooth sweet taste and delicate dry finish make it a classic Irish malt with its own distinctive character.
• Connemara Peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey revives one of the most ancient distilling traditions in Ireland, drying malting barley over peat fires. As the smoke rises through the malting barley it imparts a beautiful peaty / smokey flavour to the whiskey. Connemara allows you to unearth the authentic taste of Ireland.