Isle of Jura
The word 'Boutique' evokes a small but special space filled with an assortment of fine and beautiful things (clothes, trinkets, whiskies). The kind of things you simply can’t find anywhere else – especially not in a high street chain.
It's with this ethos in mind that Isle of Jura have named their new series 'Boutique Barrels'. The idea was to create a range of very special single malts for whisky enthusiasts, making bespoke single cask bottlings available to consumers without the fuss of fancy packaging to distract from the spirit (a laudable goal if ever there was one). At the same time, the range gives the distillery the opportunity to show off what their spirit is capable, by making available some of its more special casks, hand-picked over a period of five years by the Master Distiller.
The Isle of Jura Boutique Barrels are all vintage single cask bottlings (rare enough in itself for this distillery), and have been bottled at full strength without chill-filtration - in short, the goal has been to preserve the natural elements of the spirit for whisky aficionados and connoisseurs to appreciate.
The initial selection for the Boutique Barrels range is a trio of single casks from different vintages and maturation styles. The producer's notes are below:
Jura Bourbon XU 1999 Heavily Peated
• A beautifully hand crafted malt of rare and distinguished quality
• Heavily peated
• The bonfire smoke is tempered by the soft vanilla and floral notes of the Bourbon wood
• A stunning combination of peat smoke, pine wood and lemon grass
• Small batch Bourbon from Kentucky
• Matured in American white oak from 1999 until 2006
• Re-casked in 1st fill “distillery run” Bourbon barrels
• Final spell of maturation in Warehouse No. 2 which faces the varied weather of the Small Isle Bay; an airy warehouse that allows both summer sea breezes and • winter gales to work their elemental magic on the barrels.
Jura Bourbon JO 1995
• Opening signature of this expression - light seductive warming flavours.
• An enticing spectrum of creamy toffee, citrus and vanilla layers.
• Ripe pear, crushed apples and a hint of spicy cinnamon provide the perfect aftertaste
• Years in 1st Fill “Small Batch” Bourbon barrels
• Matured in the damp cool temperature of Warehouse No. 1
Jura Sherry JI 1993
• A sensual delight
• A subtle array of flavours; warm deeply mature and inviting
• A mouth-watering collection of flavours that only an island and a unique Oloroso Sherry cask can bring
• Rich citrus marmalade, crushed almonds, spicy ginger and roasted coffee
• Drawn from the richness of the finest cask to complete this masterpiece
• Matured in American white oak from 1993 until 2002 at the Jura distillery
• Re-racked in 2002 into Oloroso Pasada Sherry Butts from Gonzalez Byass in Spain – which nurtured and tamed this island malt to perfection