Royal Lochnagar The Cask of His Royal Highness The Prince Charles Duke of Rothesay
Charity bottling In aid of The Prince's Foundation
In 1988 Royal Lochnagar distillery gifted a cask of whisky to HRH The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay. Now, 30 years later, His Royal Highness has donated the whisky from this cask to be sold in aid of The Prince's Foundation and in particular the charity's work to support projects in the area local to the distillery, Royal Deeside, such as The Carriage at Ballater Station.
The Whisky Exchange is honoured to be conducting the sale of this special single malt on behalf of The Prince's Foundation and, to ensure that as many people as possible have a chance to own this piece of whisky and Royal history, we are conducting a ballot for the chance to purchase a bottle. You can enter below, and all proceeds from the sale will go to The Prince's Foundation.
30 Year Old
(£2,100 PER LITRE)
One of the oldest single cask bottlings of Royal Lochnagar whisky to ever be released, bottled on 14th November 2018, HRH The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay's 70th birthday.
184 bottles will be available through The Whisky Exchange ballot, one will be auctioned on Whisky.Auction once the ballot is closed, one placed in the Diageo Archive, and the remaining 20 retained by The Prince's Foundation for further fundraising.
To enter the ballot, please sign up using the link below. Please note that you will have to enter your credit card details during the process, but your card will not be charged unless you are successful. You can view the full terms and conditions below.
You must complete checkout to enter the ballot.
- Lemons, pears and zesty fino sherry notes lead to sweet spiced pastry cases filled with apple sauce and cream. Dark notes of toast and honey develop along with candied nuttiness: peanut brittle and caramel-coated hazelnuts. Orange zest, sultanas and lightly spiced fruit cake emerge.
- Cream and caramel with a touch of oaky spice to start. Orange cream, candied lemon and rich baked apple notes build, with wax polished oak, and fruit and nut chocolate bars. Fruity notes continue to grow, with poached pears, tropical fruit salad and blackcurrants: fresh, jammy and cordial.
- Polished oak and toast with honey fade to leave crackling autumn forests and fragrant blackcurrant leaves.
About The Prince's Foundation
The Prince's Foundation was formed earlier this year to sustain the legacy of many of HRH The Prince of Wales's charities.
The Prince's Foundation focuses on working to improve the built environment, saving heritage and promoting culture, and running community education projects in a broad range of subject areas including traditional arts and science, heritage, design and architecture, horticulture, health and personal care.
Earlier this year, The Prince's Foundation opened The Carriage tearoom and bistro in Ballater to help the village regain its footing following the damage to commerce, employment and tourism in the area caused by flooding and fire in 2015.
About Royal Lochnagar
The smallest distillery in Diageo's Scotch Whisky portfolio, Royal Lochnagar is situated on the edge of the Royal Family's Balmoral estate. It first came to royal attention in 1848, when Queen Victoria and Prince Albert visited John Begg's distillery and awarded him a royal warrant just a few weeks later. It's said that Queen Victoria enjoyed mixing a dram from Begg's distillery with claret!
HRH Prince Charles visited the Royal Lochnagar distillery in October 2018, during which the cask was formally handed over. His Royal Highness tasted the whisky with Diageo whisky specialist Maureen Robinson, leading whisky writer Charles MacLean, and Sukhinder Singh, owner of The Whisky Exchange.
Terms and Conditions
- winners of the Royal Lochnagar ballot will be automatically be charged for one bottle (£1,470) plus any relevant delivery fees
- each winner can only purchase one bottle
- only one entry per bottle per person. Multiple entries will be discarded
- the ballot will close at 23.59 GMT on Sunday 27 January 2019
- the draw will take place on or after Monday 28 January 2019
- ballot winners will be contacted with confirmation of purchase
- those unsuccessful in the ballot will receive confirmation that they have not been selected
- entering the ballot will add you to our mailing list. You will have the opportunity to unsubscribe whenever we send you an email.
For full The Whisky Exchange terms and conditions, please click here.
Other terms and conditions may apply.