The Emerald Geishas
Single Cask Japanese Whiskies
Bottled by Elixir Distillers exclusively for The Whisky Exchange
Your chance to buy the world's rarest whisky
Karuizawa's whiskies are legendary. Not only are they of sublime quality, but the distillery's closure almost 20 years ago means that they are rarer than emeralds.
These exclusive single-cask bottlings augment the Karuizawa character in distinct ways: one adding sweet notes of raisin, mint and plum; the other layering vanilla and spiced butter around the Karuizawa core.
Sherry Cask: 33yo, 54.4%, 170 bottles
Bourbon Cask: 35yo, 59.1%, 265 bottles
Due to the limited numbers available, we will be allocating this rare whisky by ballot.
33 Years Old
Sherry Cask #8908
- Up front are caramel-covered oak boards, a dusting of nutmeg and piney juniper, and flamed orange zest. Digestive biscuits and cheesecloth peek out from the sides, balancing rich earthiness and damp tree bark. Crackling autumn leaves and temple incense smoulder like an old bonfire.
- Intense raisin and plum sweetness burst out of the glass, balanced by crunchy autumn leaves. Green oak and dried twigs snap together and a gently mentholated note floats through the middle. Sugary dried fruit develops, along with vanilla sauce and bittersweet spiced chocolate. Water adds layers of spiced and baked apple: fruity and rich with carefully matched sweet and tart notes.
- Soft, old-oak spiciness and char fades to reveal sweet apple sauce and crunchy sliced pear.
35 Years Old
Bourbon Cask #8518
- Caramel wafers in a cloud of incense – savoury, perfumed and sweet perfectly balanced. Sultanas follow, with oaky spice: nutmeg, cinnamon sticks and freshly sawn damp oak. Autumnal flavours of leaves and fragrant forests build, with a side order of sweet and spicy vanilla, and sweet butter. A drop of water dampens the incense and brings out subtle tropical fruit: pineapple and mango.
- Spiced butter leads, with cinnamon and anise heat rolling in behind alongside sticky vanilla and caramel. Sharp apple bursts through but is tempered by bitter char and toffee sweetness. Savoury turmeric notes and incense build through the sweetness. Water tones down the buttery hit at the front of the palate, and reveals layers of spice and fruit: banana, menthol and ripe apples.
- Soft apple fades to char and sweet woody spice. Earthy rancio lingers long at the back of the palate, slowly sweetening.
The ballot for The Karuizawa Emerald Geishas is now closed. If you have already entered, we will let you know whether you were successful as soon as possible.
Fake bottles of rare whisky and spirits do occasionally appear on the market. It is therefore important for you to be 100% sure your bottle is genuine and contains the liquid stated on the label. The Whisky Exchange and Elixir Distillers are working with Prooftag to ensure this.
Already used in the wine industry, the Prooftag Bubble Tag™ is a unique bottle seal that allows you to authenticate your whisky. No two tags are alike, and the combination of a code and uncopiable features means that you can check online that your bottle is real. Bottle authentication and more information can be found on the Elixir Distillers website.
Terms and Conditions
- winners of the Karuizawa ballot will be offered the chance to purchase one bottle of either Karuizawa Emerald Geisha 33yo Sherry Cask #8908 or Karuizawa Emerald Geisha 35yo Bourbon Cask #8518
- only one entry per person. Multiple entries will be ignored
- each entry can be for either one of the two bottles or for both
- each winner can only purchase one bottle – once a person's name has been drawn as a winner, they will not be drawn as a winner for the other bottle
- the ballot will close at 11.59pm on Sunday 4 February 2018
- the first round of draws will take place on Monday 5 February 2018
- ballot winners will be contacted with details of how to purchase their bottle. Non-winners will receive confirmation that they have not been selected in the first round
- if any winners do not take up the chance to purchase their bottle within seven days, those winning ballots will be redrawn and new winners contacted. This will continue until all bottles are sold
- entering the ballot will add you to our mailing list. You will have the opportunity to unsubscribe whenever we send you an email.
For full TWE terms and conditions, please click here.
Other terms and conditions may apply.