Malt of the Month: August 2016
We choose our Malt of the Month to highlight some of the great whiskies of the world. Some are well known, some less so, but you can be certain that if it's our Malt of the Month, then you won't be disappointed. This month we've chosen:
12 Year Old
2 Glass Pack
One of the key components of Diageo's single malt portfolio, Cardhu is not only a popular whisky around the world on its own, but also the core of many award-winning blends. Famed for its soft, honeyed style, the 12 Year Old is an ideal entry point to the world of single malt whisky, delivering plenty of aromatic tropical-fruit notes.
ALLERGEN INFORMATIONThis product may contain the following:
From the Producer
- Appearance: Golden honey.
- Nose: At full strength, heady, nose prickle, pear drops and tightly integrated heather, resin and sweet honey-nut notes. Enticing. Intriguing. With a little water, still harmonious but less pronounced, allowing some malt-cereal, soft, spicy wood, moorland and faint traces of wood-smoke to appear.
- Body: Soft, pleasing, medium.
- Palate: Palate Well balanced, smooth mouthfeel; short punch, sweet and fresh, then a pronounced drying effect. Enjoyable at any time, with little or no water.
- Finish: Quite short. Some lingering sweet smoke in the attractive, drying aftertaste.
Starting from less-than-legal roots, Cardhu was licensed in 1824 by John Cumming. It is among the first Scottish distilleries in the records to have been run by women, with Cumming's wife Helen and daughter-in-law Elizabeth in charge through the mid-1800s. The distillery was sold to Johnnie Walker towards the end of the century, and today is still an important component in the blend named after him.
Cardhu is incredibly popular in the Iberian peninsula, consistently coming out as the top-selling single malt whisky in both Spain and Portugal. The younger expressions are soft and sweet, and ideal for sipping in the summer months.