North of Scotland

Fetching Price

Fetching Price

Introducing the first and only official bottling from the North of Scotland Distillery Co, Alloa: a single-grain Scotch whisky aged in bourbon casks for more than 50 years.

North of Scotland Distillery started producing whisky in 1957 and closed in 1980. This is a rare chance to taste long-aged whisky from this lost distillery and experience a drop of history.

North of Scotland

Producer's Tasting Notes by Billy Abbott, The Whisky Exchange

Nose Pecan nuts and Custard Creams with aromas of nectarine and raspberry. Classic notes of sweet grain – toffee, golden syrup and baked apple with a touch of polish and dusty cinnamon giving a hint to the age. Richer notes of crème caramel, blood orange and glacé cherries build.

Palate A thick creamy mouthfeel that becomes juicy after the second sip. Flavours of custard and dry spice – nutmeg and cinnamon – set you salivating. Notes of tarragon and oregano blend with blood orange and toasted hazelnuts.

Finish Walnut and toasted almonds with vanilla fudge linger and slowly fade, leading you on to the next sip.

Comment Well-aged spirit such as this is a rare and incredible treat. The classic sweet notes found in many grain whiskies have been tempered by the time in good wood.

North of Scotland

About North of Scotland

North of Scotland was founded in Cambus, Alloa in 1957 by George P Christie. He bought a brewery and converted it to produce whisky, reopening by 1958. Along with grain whisky, he also produced malt whisky under the name Strathmore. However, the malt didn’t last long due to a huge demand for his grain whisky, and the pot stills were removed in 1959 to make way for a bigger mash tun.

By the 1970s demand for grain had begun to diminish, and following the deaths of the distillery’s directors, Christie closed the North of Scotland for good in 1980. The site was sold to DCL, a forerunner of Diageo, who transferred the equipment to nearby Cambus distillery and converted the buildings into warehousing. Today, it is used as a bonded warehouse.