GlenislaSingle Malt Whisky
The resultant whisky was intended for blending purposes - some was used in Chivas's 'Century of Malts' bottling in the late 1990s. Only a tiny handful of Glenisla releases have ever been available, the first of which was bottled by Signatory in March 2006.
More on Glen Keith
A comparatively modern distillery, Glen Keith (also known as Glen Keith-Glenlivet and Glenkeith) was established in Keith, Banffshire in 1957 by Chivas Brothers, a subsidiary of Seagram, with construction finishing in 1960. Glen Keith originally practised triple-distillation, which was very unusual for a Scotch whisky, and even more so for a Speyside. Two more stills were added to the original three in 1970, at which time the change to double distillation was made. The new stills were the first in Scotland to be gas-fired.
In 1980 Glen Keith was updated, with a microprocessor installed to control nearly all aspects of production. A sixth still was added in 1983. Glen Keith was mothballed in 1999 and shortly afterwards, in 2001, Chivas Brothers was sold by Seagram to Pernod Ricard, who have not re-opened it.
Glen Keith's output was mostly reserved for the Chivas Brothers blends: Chivas Regal, Passport and 100 Pipers (later Black Watch). However, there were a couple of (mostly uninspiring) single malt releases while the distillery was operational, and a few independent bottlings have also been released. Two experimental peated Glen Keiths called Craigduff and Glenisla were made in the 1970s, and bottlings of both have recently been released by Signatory.
Glen Keith's style is usually grassy and light, although the Glenisla and Craigduff are understandably more bold in character.