CraigellachieSingle Malt Whisky
Production commenced in 1898. After Edwards retired in 1916, Peter Mackie took full control of the distillery, and much of the production was to go into the White Horse blend that the Mackie family had created in 1861.
After Peter Mackie's death in 1924, Mackie & Co. Distillers changed its name to White Horse Distillers, and the company was sold to Distillers Company Ltd (DCL, later to become part of Diageo). The distillery was extended in the mid-1960s, with the number of stills being doubled to four.
Long known locally as 'The White Horse Distillery', Craigellachie was sold by Diageo in 1998 to Bacardi, along with John Dewar & Sons which is now Craigellachie's controlling company.
Only 2% of Craigellachie's malt is retained for bottling as a single malt, with the majority of the rest now going into Dewar's White Label. A 14yo expression which appeared in 2004 is the only official bottling since Bacardi acquired ownership, and is in effect just a continuation of the 14yo Flora and Fauna bottling produced under Diageo.
Character and Style of Craigellachie
- Black Pepper